Sunday, February 04, 2007

Mayo, (what does mayo stand for?)

I woke up in the Mayo Hospital with little to no recall of what happened to me. The odd part about it was that I had been at the Hospital for well over a week. I had dreamed, or envisioned, that I was already "recovered" and had gotten a new car and had been driving it. I even dreamed, or envisioned during this stupor that I had checked out and checked back in to the hospital.

The odd thing is that so much of this seemed so real to me. I couldn't believe none of it was true except that I was in the hospital with a severe head trauma injury. I came out of my stupor approximately 2 weeks ago when I realized I was really at the Mayo Hospital and I had not cheched out, driven my new car, and all the other things I had dreamt. The dreams seemed so real that it was hard to disregard them. I finally did when I had to confront them.

I guess my dreams were very similar to my regular life that I think I am invincible and that if I want to do something, I simply just go out and do it. Not this time... I have a halo on my head which keeps my neck safe. I broke my neck after having a terrible automobile accident. I believe I was ejected from the car but before being ejected, I believe my head had struck the passenger side window and I was thrown from the vehicle. I believe the impact with the window caused my broken neck, the laceration on my scalp, and the brain trauma. I am not sure about any of the above except the physical condition of myself seems to support the above information.

I am in rehab. at the Mayo Hospital in Rocherster. I am very lucky to be in this facility compared to any other facility in the United States. This facility is well known for it's head injury treatment among a whole array of other specific specialties.

I will be here until about noon on February 5th, 2007. I have been working with the rehab doctors in all areas including my physical recovery and my mental recovery. I have a lot of my minor and major motor skills. Did I lose any memory? Yes, I did. To what extent, I will not know until I stumble accross something, then I will remember that I don't know something. It is kind of weird.

I have not been at work since the day of the accident. I am currently on short term leave which may turn into long term leave.

My main focus is to leave the hospital in good care of my father, Robert Kroll. On my release date, we will head to my home and make plans after that.

The plans will include out-patient rehab and I don't know how long that will last. It will have to last as long as necessary. At this time, I am certain I would not be able to function in my job at all. Given enough time and rehab, I should be able to recover and relearn everything that has been compromised.

I have made arrangements to pick up a new car, a dark blue 2007 Honda Civic. This was the next car I was going to get after the Mazda 3 lease expired next year. The Mazda was totalled in the accident and the transition to the new car will happen sooner than I expected. Since mom and dad will be driving me a lot, especially to and from my rehab appointments, I will suggest they drive the Civic to save on gas and the wear and tear to their vehicle. It seems only fair. I would rather pay for gasoline in a Honda than a van or a car any bigger than a Honda. This may be a treat for mom and dad to trex me around in a new smelling car for something they never asked for which is to haul me around to my doctor appointments.

I've had the halo on my head since the middle of January. I should have it removed in 12 weeks which will be around the middle April. It seems like a long time but I would rather wear the halo than have to choose the alternatives of paralyses or death. After the halo is on for awhile, you kind of get used to it. It is rather heavy but it is protecting my neck and spine and allowing it to heal properly. I have no grounds to complain.

Don't worry because when I am with mom and dad during the care they are providing for me, I will listen to them. There will be no arguments, temper tantrums, or anything similar because I simply will not put up with it. I will just apply my "parenting with love and logic" and everything will be fine.

Good luck mom and dad.

I will write later to keep all informed. Thanks everybody for the cards, flower, and misc. other things such as the telephone calls, the prayers, and all the wishes for a quick and speedy recovery.

Later,
Ron.

5 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I'm so thankful you are okay Ron! I'm very glad you were in the Mayo clinic for your treatment and was also ensured by others that it was one of the best facilities in the country. You sound ready to take on everything you need to for a full recovery and I will continue to offer my support and prayers! Love, Karen

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger Kim said...

We are so thankful that you are doing so well!! Our prayers are always with you and if you need anything at all, do ask! We are here for you!!

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Bobby Kroll said...

I am glad you are doing better, Ron. I am proud to have you as a brother.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kristine said...

Ron,
I am so glad you are okay. I'm appreciating the positive attitude you are sporting. You've been through a lot and you just need to know that with the love and support of your family, you can make it through anything. We are here for you. Our prayers will continue for a full and speedy recovery!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Karla said...

It was great talking to you yesterday, Ron. I am glad that you are doing so well. We will continue to pray for you, and we too are here for you if you ever need anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home